It should be noted that the remains of one pre-Deportation Acadian home was excavated in 1983 by archeologists.
As the name depicts, the Breau family had settled here and called this place home.
Located on the banks of the Rivière St-Antoine or la Rivière Grand-Habitant (Cornwallis River), on the opposite side of the river from Cote des Boudreau (Starr's Point), the village was sometimes known as la Rivière des Habitants. Based on the census of 1714, Acadian families living here were the Dupuis, Sire/Cyr, Hebert, LeBlanc, Landry, Benoit, Boucher and Darois.
Grand-Pré soon replaced Port-Royal as the bread basket of Acadia so much so that it did a good deal of shipping of its agricultural goods to the Massachusetts Bay Colony at Boston.
Four hundred and eighteen men and boys were detained as prisoners in the church on September 5, 1755 after the Deportation order was read by Colonel John Winslow. There is a cross where the parish cemetery is believe to have existed. The families who lived here were the Melanson, LeBlanc, Thériault, Bujold, Hébert, Landry, Trahan, Bourque, Forest, Bourgeois, Doucet, Blanchard and Granger.
The British arrived in Pisiguit in 1750 and built Fort Edward. On September 5, 1755, Captain Alexander Murray, commander of the fort, read the Deportation order to the men and boys assembled and then held them prisoners until the ships came to deport them. In October 1755 1,000 Acadians were deported from this location. Acadians who were captured or who gave themselves up after years of hiding in the woods were also held in Fort Edward between 1755 and 1762. While prisoners, Acadians were hired to help the new settlers known as the Planters who had come from New England. They helped with construction and upkeep of the dykes. Some of those prisoners bore the name of: Poitier, Suret, Broussard, Dugas, Girroir, Gallant, Léger, Robicheau, Johnson, Deveau, Bourque, Pelerin, Comeau and Brun.
was the Acadian name for the landing on the Gaspereau River proven by archaeologist and historians to be the actual embarkation point for the Acadians who were deported from the church of Saint-Charles-des-Mines in Grand-Pré. Colonel John Winslow recorded in his diary that they walked a mile and a half in this direction to the transport ships waiting in the harbor. From October to December 1755 some 2,200 Acadians were deported from here. Among the names on Winslow's list found elsewhere on this site under Grand-Pre deportees were: Aucoin, Melanson, Boudro, Belfontain,LeBlanc, Daigre, Gautro, Pitre, Granger, Babin, heber, Blanchard, Landry, Braux, Commo, Trahan, Terriot, Thibodo and Richard. The Acadian dykes can also be seen at this location. Over the years it has continued to be topped off by a modern dykes or the waters would certainly flood the area. This is also where the "Deportation Cross" has been relocated.
Return to Acadie contains excerpts from Acadia Before 1755 by Régis Brun.
All rights reserved
Acadian Ancestral Home Web Site & Blog
Lucie LeBlanc Consentino