Friday, December 21, 2007


Christmas traditions are never forgotten.

One of the family traditions I started when our daughters were little is that when the family was here on Christmas Eve, the youngest child in each of the families present would place Baby Jesus in the manger after everyone had arrived. The children looked forward to it and it was an exciting time to remind us all of the real meaning of Christmas. I hope that someday it will be a tradition that our daughters will choose pass on to their children.

With Christmas just a few days away we have not allowed all of the unending snow to dampen our spirits though
we keep hearing that song: let it snow, let it snow, let it snow...". (Yes, it snowed all day yesterday once again!)

This is the first year we will not hold open house on Christmas Eve at our home. We have hosted it for quite a few years but now the baton has been passed on to our oldest daughter and son-in-law. I almost don't know what to do with myself (*smile
*) as I am usually over my head with preparations to receive everyone on December 24th. I am not complaining as it is quite nice to have some time for myself and not be harried wrapping Christmas presents and all that the many preparations normally would entail.

Many Christmas Eves I have spent days cooking our family's traditional ragou, tourtière and pies (my Mémère's recipes). The last few years as everyone's children have grown families have arrived later so that I would prepare more munchies and desserts. Every year we spend Christmas day with my niece's family. She and her husband prepare a wonderful Christmas buffet.

Wherever you will be this Christmas Eve and Christmas, I hope you enjoy family traditions or good memories of Christmas past! May you will know the warmth and comfort of family and friends - know that I will be thinking of all of you in my own way and a prayer will be said that all of you know the many blessings that Christmas can bring!

Love,

Your cousin Lucie
Acadian Ancestral Home

No comments: